Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Finding Time, Making Time


I was talking to my workmate the other day about weeknight cooking. She pointed out that it eats up a lot of our 4 hours a day of spare time. 

Hang on, 4 hours? I mentally did the maths. Yes, it was true. We both work 8 hour days with 2 hours of commuting. Home at 6pm, bed at 10pm-ish. Up at 7am to face the new day. 

In those precious 4 hours, we have to cook, clean, shower and then with what time is left over - relax a little. 

I usually use my "relax" time to watch my tv shows, peruse social media and read blogs. 

So now I'm wondering if there are changes I can make to positively and more constructively use my time.

Perhaps I could go to bed later, or get up earlier? Do I really need 9 hours of sleep a night? I probably should be exercising at some point!

Should I use my commute time for more writing, instead of reading?

Should I bulk cook meals on the weekend to cut down on prep time in the week?

All of these are options. But at the end of the day, the decisions I make about how I spend my time will be based on my priorities - what I want to do! If I want to spend more time reading books or blogs, I will make the time. I'll borrow it from the precious minutes I was spending doing something else. If I want to spend more time with my partner, perhaps I'll reduce my social media time. 

I believe that complaining you can't find time to do the things you like is useless. Because if something is important, invariably you'll MAKE the time. I just need to decide what is a priority to me!

What do you always make time for in your day?

6 comments:

  1. I always make time for my family so we can have family time, so I don't do my online Uni studies till hubby has left for work & when we have access to A once she has gone to school.

    Then once hubby is home from work (he can finish any time he doesn't have a set finish time as such) or A is home from school (depending on who gets home first) I stop my studies and when hubby has days off and on the weekend I don't do any studies at all.

    The only time I'll still study is during school holidays as I really can't afford to let them days slip by but I only do it for about 4 hrs each day so A gets time with me. I'll squeeze in more time if she goes out to play with her friends or to the park etc

    (((( Hugs )))) XXXX Kisses XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you have your priorities sorted pretty well! It can be so hard to balance family and study with every other little thing in life!

      Delete
  2. So true: when something's important, somehow, in some way, we'll MAKE the time. And sure, while cooking/cleaning/exercising etc. serve their purpose/are necessary, I believe relaxing is equally valuable… it's nourishing for the soul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in total agreement - doing things you enjoy is essential to well-being and happiness! One can't be productive ALL the time, you'd burn out!

      Delete
  3. I'm up at 6 to be at work by 9. I finish work between 17.00 and 17.30 so I get home anywhere between 19.00 and 19.30. By the time I cook and eat it's after 20.00 and then I too fall into bed about 22.00. I think someone else may be using my free time.

    Oh for the days when I had a 15 minute bus ride along Lutwyche Road and the bypass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written.I agree its all about priorities.I work part time but I always try to take out time for hubby and talk with my parents back home.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...