Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

A Real Holiday

It's Easter time and this year we have a special treat – a five-day weekend. This anomaly is due to ANZAC day falling on the Easter Monday. So some bright spark said – let's have an extra day off! And all about him saw that it was good.

Easter in Queensland means family holidays. People want to take advantage of the last warmth of the autumn sun, and so many people head to those Meccas of sand and waves – the Gold and Sunshine Coasts.

Since I became an adult I have never had an Easter weekend holiday. And since I've become part of a couple, I've only been away for the weekend twice – both times to the Sunshine Coast for one or two nights.

Truth be told, I haven't had what I consider a “real” holiday since 2006. That was the year I went to Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. The year after that I met my fiance and well, it seems the life of a person with a partner is not as conducive to saving money as that of a singleton with no commitments!



Now, the grind of mortgage repayments, electricity bills and grocery shopping really prohibits the kind of holiday I'd like to take. One where the currency is different, you don't really speak the language and everything is old or new or beautiful.



Where you immerse yourself in the local atmosphere and generally forget that you have a boring office job back home, and can drink three cocktails because you don't have to get up early in the morning.

I think my next Real Holiday is going to be our honeymoon. C is happy to go where I want to, and as to that I only have 2 criteria – that there is ocean, and plenty of cocktails.



*[images: all mine]

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...