Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Beautiful Buildings of Bundaberg

A few weeks ago we visited my brother in Bundaberg for his house warming. It was the first time I had been there in many years - the last time I think being when we were camping in a cyclone. (I have very dim memories of this event, but Google reveals that Bundy was indeed subject to Cyclone Fran in 1992 so that sounds about right!)

I was fully impressed by this bustling town. Not only does it have a busy main street filled with independant retailers, it is filled with lovely buildings.

Thought I would share a few snaps with you this lazy Sunday afternoon. Note, because my husband doesn't often stop the car, these are all taken out of the car window so please forgive me.

 This Queenslander with huge verandahs was impressive

Beautiful old town building

 The Grand Hotel

We visited the Bundy Rum Distillery shop but didn't have time for a tour. It smells good there.

 Bundaberg Distillery

 Main Street shopfront

 Town Hall

 School of Arts

I loved this Art Deco building best of all. There were even some Art Deco houses in the suburbs but I sadly didn't get any pics.

3 comments:

  1. Last time I was in Bundaberg was about a decade ago. Loved it. Visited their second hand book store and we did the Distillery tour as well, I got to taste molasses for the first and only time. The molasses vat was kind of scary, actually, so deep and dark I kept imagining what it would be like if you fell in. Twas a great wee town, looks exactly as it did ten years ago :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, that lovely deep rich smell of molasses... imagine drowning in it. There's a dark thought. I hope to visit the town more often now my bro is there. It's full of mine workers now though I hope it doesn't ruin their economy.

      Delete
    2. I do hope not too. Yes, it occured to me it probably wasn't your average thought on looking at a vat of molasses - no surprises there :D

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...