Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Death to Stools

Yes, you know what I'm talking about. The Abominations that are Backless Chairs.



They lurk, waiting for all other "proper" seats to be taken, then somehow appear, making themselves appealing to the weary. I don't know about you, but about one minute on one is enough for me before I'm squirming and complaining.

Oh I know, I know, I should sit up straight and use my core strength or whatever but unfortunately I'm a sloucher who enjoys relaxing when I am seated.

Our lunchroom has some, a tribe of red plastic monsters that are forever being dragged out of the way and are generally the last seats to be taken. But it is at cafes that they really get my goat.

Nothing ruins my occasional "breakfast I didn't make myself and don't have to clean up afterwards" treat like having to eat it while sitting on a stool. The ones at my local place are all rustic wood and look quite inviting, but a few minutes bent over the Saturday paper sipping my cup of Earl Grey are all it takes for regret to set in. Especially as the foot rests are the wrong height. Knees higher than hips is a bad bad thing.

Just wrong

The funny thing is, at a hipster coffee place recently, a stool was the best of a bunch of poor choices. A mix of mid-century modern furniture, tip-shop chic and repurposed industrial design meant that I chose a tall stool at a long table made out of a door rather than sit in a low chair at a tiny spool. Yes, an actual electrical cable spool.

Do you hate stools as much as I do? Or am I simply prejudiced? And what the hell is up with spools?


2 comments:

  1. I hate stools. They make me feel even shorter than usual. I can never find a graceful way to climb up and sit down. My feet dangle like I'm a little kid. Stools can go to hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I don't find stools comfortable at all. My back starts to ache. My legs can never seem to find the right position. I want a chair with a back on it or, for just coffee, sometimes a squishy couch but sometimes they start to smell from all the previous sitters. Phew! Stool and benches look really cool. Maybe they create a quick turn over of patrons and hence more profit? You don't sit for hours sipping your coffee on a stool.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...