Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

No texting and no Twitter make Sarah something something


From Friday last week, to yesterday afternoon, I couldn't use my iPhone. First World Problems, I know.

What I wasn't prepared for was the sense of loss and helplessness that this situation evoked in me! I would continually pick it up, start to text someone and remember. Put phone back down. Pick it up a minute later, open Echofon and try to tweet and then remember.

Due to some barring placed on it by my service provider (a little matter of an overdue bill... but we won't go into that. Suffice to say there was no notice and apparently since it wasn't a full suspension of service I don't deserve any. Not happy.) I could receive incoming calls and texts but not send anything, or access the internet. Do you know how frustrating it is to not reply to a text when you want to? And if I wasn't home I couldn't pick up the home phone (which has also had a fault on it, don't even ask!) and make an old-fashioned landline call to tell people why I couldn't respond!

Telstra couldn't seem to remove the bar, despite me complying with their billing request. So I spent the entire weekend and Monday not texting, tweeting, calling, instagramming, Path-ing, playing Words With Friends or checking into GetGlue. It was strange - I've had my iphone for only a year but it felt like my arm had been cut off. Basically it had been rendered a black brick on which I could only play Freecell.

Finally after 4 phone calls and a complaint logged via the web I rang Telstra yesterday afternoon, said "complaint" into the RVA and miraculously was put through to a person who knew what the hell they were doing. He fixed it within 5 mins, and I could use my phone again. Halle-freaking-lujah!

I spent 30 years of my life without an iPhone, and  4 days without one sent me round the twist. What has become of me?

Are you too reliant on your Smart Phone? Is your life on there? How have you coped/would you cope without it?

3 comments:

  1. Terrible, isn't it? It's like losing an appendage! I have to build up the courage just to do a software update, should anything go wrong...
    ~S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally get this. I also forgot to pay my bill last month and they suspended it (totally my fault, I was forgetful!). I loved my week without my phone though- it was blissfully quiet and I limited my internet time to home only.

    Though, now I've got it back, I haven't made any changes to my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be lost without my iphone. This week, I've had no internet except for Facebook and I have gone crazy. To have no phone as well would be tragic.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...