Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Out-Laws and In-Laws




I haven't blogged in a while. Mainly because life has been very hectic with my future in-laws staying with us. Things have calmed down a little however the MIL will be visiting every few days. She's supposed to be staying with HER mother however she gets the shits with the wood-stove water heater and comes to our house for a hot shower. As you do. I suspect she also gets the shits with her mother.

There's been a bit of tension lately between the MIL and myself to do with boundaries. In my frustration, twitter was most helpful in making me realise a few things about my relationship with her, and the consequences of marrying her son. Won't go into the specifics here, but the bones of it I'm sure are universal - I'm going to be mistress of the house now, not her. I'll be the most important person in his life, not her (well, I hope I am already, but you know what I mean).

The problem is compounded by the fact that we now live in the in-laws old house, so there's a feeling of proprietorship there that can't be denied. Last week my cupboards were re-ordered so that the bowls and plates were in different positions. And I can't find anything in the linen cupboard, though I suspect that's C's fault as he admitted to stuffing towels in anywhere. The fact that he's actually putting away clean towels is enough to convince me that strange things are afoot in any case.

Last time the in-laws were here I came home to find the hedge had been trimmed to within a few inches of the ground and the oven cleaned. This time my fridge was defrosted while I was at work. Also the floors were moppped, laundry done, pool area weeded and roses pruned. Though I am extremely grateful for the help, I can't help but feel a twinge of guilt. Do they do these things to subtley point out all the chores that we never get around to doing? Or are they genuinely happy to toil away doing OUR yardwork and household cleaning tasks while they are staying?

What's the wackiest or weirdest thing your houseguests have done without asking?

1 comment:

  1. Ah... so she gets the shits with her own mother? So this is a family trait. Tell her the cycle ends with you :-)

    None of my houseguests have ever done anything weird. Most houseguests are really well behaved.

    You're calling your MIL a 'houseguest'. This is progress!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...